Saturday, April 24, 2010

One Unexpected Venue for Learning

As I continue (Cody here) to grow in my mastery over the Italian language (which really still has mastery over me), I find more and more doors opening up to allow me into the culture. While this is not a new or deep thought, it has lead me down a road I never imagined myself going.

Over the course of our first year here, I tried to educate myself somewhat on the basic principles of wine...more specifically Italian wine. I soon found out how daunting of a task this could be. In a country that produces around 1 billion litres per year and has over 1 million vines under cultivation, I found myself simply not wanting to sound completely ignorant walking into a winestore. As I've tried to learn how to master the lingo, I have also, unexpectedly, learned incredible things about Italy and the people and history.

A year later, and with far more Italian under my belt, I find myself wondering why I can't find a Sangiovese Superiore that I really like (I finally did last weekend!) and trying to figure out how to ship home the 1.50Euro bottle of local table wine that is impressively good. Of course, as with most learning experiences, if it can be shared with a friend, it's usually more enjoyable. So last April a friend and I decided to educate ourselves in the realm of Italian wine. What began as a get together once a month has now developed into a weekly dinner to discuss what we're learning, try a new wine or enjoy a favorite.

Last weekend, we spent the entire day visiting local vineyards to talk with producers and become more familair with the entire process (sorry I don't have pictures! It was incredible). It may seem kind of weird, but experiences like that are exactly the kind of language experiences I need. I have enough to follow what's being talked about, and it's in an environment where I'm stretched to grow in my ability to communicate. My friend and I are now talking about what it would take for us to enroll in a Sommelier course this Fall (a Sommelier is an official "wine expert"). Who knows. . . anything is possible.

With wine being so much more than just a beverage here in Italy, it has been a really fun way for me learn more about Italian heritage and culture, while growing in my language skills too. Again, who would have thought God would have used wine in this way?

No comments: