Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day in Florence

Wow, what a treat we had last night! Since our awesome and amazing STINT girl Crystal was already set to babysit for us on Monday for a meeting we had in Florence, we didn't have any big plans for Valentine's Day. I was going to make fajitas, but that was about it. Also because of our meeting, we were going to have to get up early to catch a train.

On Friday, Crystal called to see if we would want to go out on Sunday night. She didn't mind babysitting Sunday night AND Monday morning if it would be a blessing to us (she used to be a teacher, so she has great skills with maintaining order among our three!). One thing led to another, and she ended up spending the night Sunday night so that Cody and I could head to Florence early and enjoy our very first overnight away from the kids since moving.

A self-taken photo in front of the Duomo

I went online and found a great deal on this old hotel that had been refurbished recently. I went with it because of the price, but it turned out to be one of the nicest hotels we've stayed in here. All hotels offer a breakfast with the room, but they usually consist of bread and jams. This breakfast was a full buffet with eggs and american-style bacon!

And while we're on the topic of food. . . we decided to forgo Italian on Valentine's night and hit the Mexican restaurant in Florence (who would do that in the States?). Yummy, yummy, yummy! That was an incredibly special treat, since Mexican restaurants (especially good ones) are pretty darn rare here.

We wrapped up our 24 hours away with a stroll around town after our meeting, before catching the train back. Oh, how we were blessed with this little gift of a few hours away to focus on each other! Since I'm writing this (Jen), I can not let the opportunity pass to say what an incredible job Cody did making the most of our time away. I felt pursued in the ways I did when we were dating. :) He truly made it one of the best Valentine's Days we've ever had together. What a great guy!

I am so thankful to say we returned to Bologna feeling incredibly refreshed! It was a short trip, but it went a long ways.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm so glad you had a great Valentines Day in Florence. To me, it's a very romantic city, too! When our boys were 3 and 1, we met my parents in Italy. They bbabysisat for 24 hours and ERic and I went to Florence!