Monday, April 11, 2011

Surviving without Daddy--A Very Random Post

Cody has been in the States since last Wednesday, so my opportunities to snap some pictures and think of a blog entry for today have been limited.  Cody's back in Texas following up with some people who are interested in our ministry, with whom we weren't able to get together last Fall.  He has had a really good trip and has been deeply encouraged.

And the kids are I are surviving.

What's been going on this week without Daddy?  No surprise that there's been lots of train building.  First thing, every morning, Benjamin wakes up and starts configuring a new track layout.  He takes a train on a couple trips around the track, but really the challenge is in the building more than the using.  It then sits in the middle of his room until we take apart and put it away for the night.


Friday was an exciting day for Hannah at school.  Her teacher announced they could no longer wear long-sleeve shirts.  Making the switch from winter clothes to spring/summer clothes is a delicate dance here.  A couple of weeks ago her teacher had said they could still wear long-sleeves, but everyone had to put their hair up because all the sweat was making the classroom stink.  So I was actually really thankful for the clear direction toward cooler clothes!  

On Saturday, I was blessed beyond measure for a chance to take a girls trip pottery shopping.  I took the kids to my friend Kim's house, and her oldest daughter watched them while we headed northeast out of town to Nove.  There is a pottery maker there who has an outlet open to the public.  You can get ridiculous deals (and I did!!).  I got this beautiful ornate blue pitcher.  I just think it is so lovely.  And I had a wonderfully refreshing time hanging out with a couple of girlfriends all day!  A needed break I was most thankful for.  When I picked up the kids, they all fell asleep in the car before we even made it home.  I think they played outside all day.  Medicine for their souls too!


Of course, Saturday was also really warm (almost 90 I think).  So we had to begin temperature maintenance in our apartment.  This is a picture of what our kitchen looked like.  We lower our tapperellas to block the sun from making our apartment one big convection oven.  It works pretty well, but it's rather. . . depressing.


Oh, and did I mention I went dumpster diving?  These beauties were sitting next to a dumpster on the way to school on Friday, and something within me just couldn't leave them there, when they could look so fun on our balcony.  So I dragged Ben with me to help "move some trash."  It's truly amazing what treasures can sometimes be found sitting by a dumpster in Italy.


We've also made homemade donuts, played SkipBo until we're delirious, watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua (film-making at its finest), took a trip to McDonald's, had cereal for dinner, slept over in Hannah's room, and gone for gelato (twice).

We can not wait for Daddy to get back in 2 days!  We can't keep this survival mode up for much longer. . . 

No comments: