Monday, November 23, 2009

My Happy Place


This is Lake Como. Thus far, in my 35 years of life, it is my very favorite place in all of the world. I am so glad God made it. I picture Him delighting in it every morning as the sun rises (and in the case of this picture, as the sun sets). It is about an hour and half train ride from Bologna (just east of Milan), and we hadn't been there since our Florence Summer Project trip three years ago.

This past weekend, I went there all by myself. I spent two nights staring at the water and mountains, taking a boat ride to Bellagio and exploring it for an afternoon, reading, praying, processing and just being refreshed. I slept until 8am for probably the first time in over two years.

I'll be honest and say the Lord is doing some hard things in our lives right now. He is digging deep into our hearts. It is infinitely good, and the other side is going to be an incredible experience of health. But the process is exhausting. And sometime painful. I had reached a place of feeling completely worn out. So my sweet husband made a way for me to have a retreat. I do not take his sacrifice lightly! It was a perfect weekend and exactly what I needed.


This is Bellagio. It's a small, quaint gem of a town.
It's set on some hills, so as soon as you get off the boat, you start walking UP.


Lake Como is one of three lakes in the "Lake Region." Como is the biggest city on the lake, but it is still pretty small. That is where I stayed. I loved being close to the lake! Water is one of the most relaxing things I know. Just watching it breathed refreshment into me. And to be surrounded by mountains at the same time! Como is only 15km from the Swiss border, and when it's clear, you can see the Swiss Alps. They are just incredible.


Can you believe this is real?! There were several places around the city where the ivy was changing color, and the colors were absolutely brilliant. I couldn't get enough pictures.

God met me in such a sweet way during my weekend away. I have never taken such a retreat, and I was a little nervous about investing the time and expense and returning in the same place I went. God did not let that happen. He really filled me up and spoke His rest to me. I am so thankful.


This is a street in Como. They had already begun hanging Christmas lights and putting up Christmas decorations--it was just beautiful (in Italian we say, "Che Bella!"). I loved that this street also included a red carpet!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm so glad God blessed you wtih such a weekend away.

I wish I could offer some words to help. All I can say is what God has reminded me in my hard times, especially when I didn't understand why He didn't seem to answer my heartfelt prayers. Your faith is of greater worth than gold, and its refinement is worth the trials.

Praying for you as you faithfully persevere.